Short Term Disability
SHORT-TERM DISABILITY INSURANCE
Short-term Disability insurance is designed to help protect your income if you’re hurt or sick and can’t work. It’s:
- A percentage of your income every week.
- A way to help pay the bills.
- The support to help you get back on your feet and back to work safely.
- Affordable group rates with convenient payroll deductions.
Consider these facts:
- Health insurance only covers medical bills. It won’t pay for groceries or monthly living expenses.
- Workers’ Compensation kicks in only in the event of a work-related accident or injury.
- Long-Term Disability kicks in only after a 90-day waiting period.
How much coverage am I able to purchase?
60% of your pre-disability earnings up to a maximum of $1,000 per week
All active full-time employees who works at least 30 hours per week on a regularly scheduled basis.
When can I elect my coverage?
Employees can elect this coverage any time through Benex.
How long before I receive benefits?
On the 15th day of your disability.
When will my benefits end?
After 13 weeks of not being able to work in your own occupation.
What about pre-existing conditions?
Please refer to page 3 of the Short-Term Disability Highlights for limitations on pre-existing conditions.
What Is Evidence Of Insurability?
Evidence of Insurability (EOI) pertains to certain medical standards a prospective insured must meet in order to be insured by an insurance company.
The Evidence of Insurability (EOI) Rules are:
- EOI is not required when an employee's salary is increased.
- EOI is not required by a NEW EMPLOYEE who elects STD within 31 days of Eligibility Date.
- EOI is required by an Employee applying for STD for the first time outside of New Employee status.
How do I file a claim?
You can file a claim over the phone. Refer to this flyer for instructions.
For additional questions about your Short Term Disability policy, please contact Hartford at 1-800-549-6514.