Metabolic is defined as biochemical processes that keeps the body functioning normally
Syndrome is defined as a condition characterized by a set of related symptoms.
Metabolic Syndrome is a group of risk factors that increases the risk of developing significant impairments in the way the body functions such as diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Do you have healthy numbers?
- BMI <30
- Triglycerides <150mg/dL
- HDL Cholesterol ≥40 mg/dL (men) or ≥50 mg/dL (women)
- Blood Pressure <130/85 mmHg
- Fasting Blood Glucose <100 mg/dL
Metabolic Syndrome is considered diagnosed when 3 or more risk factors are out of range.
Why is it Important?
- Metabolic Syndrome affects nearly 1 in 4 Americans.
- Having metabolic syndrome increases the risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, heart attack or stroke.
- Your risk increases when more risk factors of Metabolic Syndrome are present.
What factors influence your risk for Metabolic Syndrome?
Things we can’t modify
- Family history
Things we CAN modify
There are many lifestyle activities that you can engage in that will prevent or reverse metabolic syndrome. And, just one lifestyle change can positively impact multiple risk factors!